2. (This is the) Book (the Qur'ân) sent down unto you (O Muhammad ), so let not your breast be narrow therefrom, that you warn thereby, and a reminder unto the believers.
3. [Say (O Muhammad ) to these idolaters (pagan Arabs) of your folk:] Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord (the Qur'ân and Prophet Muhammad's Sunnah), and follow not any Auliyâ' (protectors and helpers, etc. who order you to associate partners in worship with Allâh), besides Him (Allâh). Little do you remember!
4. And a great number of towns (their population) We destroyed (for their crimes). Our torment came upon them (suddenly) by night or while they were sleeping for their afternoon rest.
5. No cry did they utter when Our Torment came upon them but this: "Verily, we were Zâlimûn (polytheists and wrongdoers, etc.)".
8. And the weighing on that day (Day of Resurrection) will be the true (weighing) . So as for those whose scale (of good deeds) will be heavy, they will be the successful (by entering Paradise).
9. And as for those whose scale will be light, they are those who will lose their ownselves (by entering Hell) because they denied and rejected Our Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.).
10. And surely, We gave you authority on the earth and appointed for you therein provisions (for your life). Little thanks do you give.
13. (Allâh) said: "(O Iblîs) get down from this (Paradise), it is not for you to be arrogant here. Get out, for you are of those humiliated and disgraced."
14. (Iblîs) said: "Allow me respite till the Day they are raised up (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)."
15. (Allâh) said: "You are of those allowed respite."
16. (Iblîs) said: "Because You have sent me astray, surely I will sit in wait against them (human beings) on Your Straight Path.
19. "And O Adam! Dwell you and your wife in Paradise, and eat thereof as you both wish, but approach not this tree otherwise you both will be of the Zâlimûn (unjust and wrongdoers)."
22. So he misled them with deception. Then when they tasted of the tree, that which was hidden from them of their shame (private parts) became manifest to them and they began to stick together the leaves of Paradise over themselves (in order to cover their shame). And their Lord called out to them (saying): "Did I not forbid you that tree and tell you: Verily, Shaitân (Satan) is an open enemy unto you?"
23. They said: "Our Lord! We have wronged ourselves. If You forgive us not, and bestow not upon us Your Mercy, we shall certainly be of the losers."
26. O Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover yourselves (screen your private parts, etc.) and as an adornment, and the raiment of righteousness, that is better. Such are among the Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allâh, that they may remember (i.e. leave falsehood and follow truth ).
27. O Children of Adam! Let not Shaitân (Satan) deceive you, as he got your parents [Adam and Hawwa (Eve)] out of Paradise, stripping them of their raiments, to show them their private parts. Verily, he and Qabîluhu (his soldiers from the jinns or his tribe) see you from where you cannot see them. Verily, We made the Shayâtin (devils) Auliyâ' (protectors and helpers) for those who believe not.
30. A group He has guided, and a group deserved to be in error; (because) surely they took the Shayâtin (devils) as Auliyâ' (protectors and helpers) instead of Allâh, and consider that they are guided.
35. O Children of Adam! If there come to you Messengers from amongst you, reciting to you, My Verses, then whosoever becomes pious and righteous, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
36. But those who reject Our Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) and treat them with arrogance, they are the dwellers of the (Hell) Fire, they will abide therein forever.
41. Theirs will be a bed of Hell (Fire), and over them coverings (of Hell-fire). Thus do We recompense the Zâlimûn (polytheists and wrongdoers, etc.).
42. But those who believed (in the Oneness of Allâh - Islâmic Monotheism), and worked righteousness - We tax not any person beyond his scope, such are the dwellers of Paradise. They will abide therein.
47. And when their eyes will be turned towards the dwellers of the Fire, they will say: "Our Lord! Place us not with the people who are Zâlimûn (polytheists and wrongdoers)."
48. And the men on AlA'râf (the wall) will call unto the men whom they would recognise by their marks, saying: "Of what benefit to you were your great numbers (and hoards of wealth), and your arrogance against Faith?"
51. "Who took their religion as an amusement and play, and the life of the world deceived them." So this Day We shall forget them as they forgot their meeting of this Day, and as they used to reject Our Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.).
56. And do not do mischief on the earth, after it has been set in order, and invoke Him with fear and hope; Surely, Allâh's Mercy is (ever) near unto the gooddoers.
59. Indeed, We sent Nûh (Noah) to his people and he said: "O my people! Worship Allâh! You have no other Ilâh (God) but Him. (Lâ ilâha ill-Allâh: none has the right to be worshipped but Allâh). Certainly, I fear for you the torment of a Great Day!"
62. "I convey unto you the Messages of my Lord and give sincere advice to you. And I know from Allâh what you know not.
63. "Do you wonder that there has come to you a Reminder from your Lord through a man from amongst you, that he may warn you, so that you may fear Allâh and that you may receive (His) Mercy?"
64. But they belied him, so We saved him and those along with him in the ship, and We drowned those who belied Our Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.). They were indeed a blind people.
67. (Hûd) said: "O my people! There is no foolishness in me, but (I am) a Messenger from the Lord of the 'Alamîn (mankind, jinns and all that exists)!
68. "I convey unto you the Messages of my Lord, and I am a trustworthy adviser (or wellwisher) for you.
69. "Do you wonder that there has come to you a Reminder (and an advice) from your Lord through a man from amongst you that he may warn you? And remember that He made you successors after the people of Nûh (Noah), and increased you amply in stature. So remember the graces (bestowed upon you) from Allâh, so that you may be successful."
72. So We saved him and those who were with him by a Mercy from Us, and We cut the roots of those who belied Our Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), and they were not believers.
77. So they killed the shecamel and insolently defied the Commandment of their Lord, and said: "O Sâlih (Saleh)! Bring about your threats if you are indeed one of the Messengers (of Allâh)."
78. So the earthquake seized them, and they lay (dead), prostrate in their homes.
81. "Verily, you practise your lusts on men instead of women. Nay, but you are a people transgressing beyond bounds (by committing great sins)."
82. And the answer of his people was only that they said: "Drive them out of your town, these are indeed men who want to be pure (from sins)!"
83. Then We saved him and his family, except his wife; she was of those who remained behind (in the torment).
88. The chiefs of those who were arrogant among his people said: "We shall certainly drive you out, O Shu'aib, and those who have believed with you from our town, or else you (all) shall return to our religion." He said: "Even though we hate it!
91. So the earthquake seized them and they lay (dead), prostrate in their homes.
92. Those who belied Shu'aib, became as if they had never dwelt there (in their homes). Those who belied Shu'aib, they were the losers.
95. Then We changed the evil for the good, until they increased in number and in wealth, and said: "Our fathers were touched with evil (loss of health and calamities) and with good (prosperity, etc.)." So We seized them of a sudden while they were unaware.
98. Or, did the people of the towns then feel secure against the coming of Our Punishment in the forenoon while they play?
99. Did they then feel secure against the Plan of Allâh. None feels secure from the Plan of Allâh except the people who are the losers.
100. Is it not clear to those who inherit the earth in succession from its (previous) possessors, that had We willed, We would have punished them for their sins. And We seal up their hearts so that they hear not?
103. Then after them We sent Mûsa (Moses) with Our Signs to Fir'aun (Pharaoh) and his chiefs, but they wrongfully rejected them. So see how was the end of the Mufsidûn (mischief-makers, corrupts, etc.).
106. [Fir'aun (Pharaoh)] said: "If you have come with a sign, show it forth, - if you are one of those who tell the truth."
107. Then [Mûsa (Moses)] threw his stick and behold! it was a serpent, manifest!
108. And he drew out his hand, and behold! it was white (with radiance) for the beholders.
109. The chiefs of the people of Fir'aun (Pharaoh) said: "This is indeed a well-versed sorcerer;
110. "He wants to get you out of your land, so what do you advise?"
113. And so the sorcerers came to Fir'aun (Pharaoh). They said: "Indeed there will be a (good) reward for us if we are the victors."
114. He said: "Yes, and moreover you will (in that case) be of the nearest (to me)."
115. They said: "O Mûsa (Moses)! Either you throw (first), or shall we have the (first) throw?"
116. He [Mûsa (Moses)] said: "Throw you (first)." So when they threw, they bewitched the eyes of the people, and struck terror into them, and they displayed a great magic.
117. And We inspired Mûsa (Moses) (saying): "Throw your stick," and behold! It swallowed up straight away all the falsehoods which they showed.
120. And the sorcerers fell down prostrate.
121. They said: "We believe in the Lord of the 'Alamîn (mankind, jinns and all that exists).
122. "The Lord of Mûsa (Moses) and Hârûn (Aaron)."
123. Fir'aun (Pharaoh) said: "You have believed in him [Mûsa (Moses)] before I give you permission. Surely, this is a plot which you have plotted in the city to drive out its people, but you shall come to know.
124. "Surely, I will cut off your hands and your feet on opposite sides, then I will crucify you all."
125. They said: "Verily, we are returning to our Lord.
126. "And you take vengeance on us only because we believed in the Ayât (proofs, evidences, lessons, signs, etc.) of our Lord when they reached us! Our Lord! pour out on us patience, and cause us to die as Muslims."
127. The chiefs of Fir'aun's (Pharaoh) people said: "Will you leave Mûsa (Moses) and his people to spread mischief in the land, and to abandon you and your gods?" He said: "We will kill their sons, and let live their women, and we have indeed irresistible power over them."
128. Mûsa (Moses) said to his people: "Seek help in Allâh and be patient. Verily, the earth is Allâh's. He gives it as a heritage to whom He will of His slaves, and the (blessed) end is for the Muttaqûn (pious - see V.2:2)."
131. But whenever good came to them, they said: "Ours is this." And if evil afflicted them, they ascribed it to evil omens connected with Mûsa (Moses) and those with him. Be informed! Verily, their evil omens are with Allâh but most of them know not.
132. They said [to Mûsa (Moses)]: "Whatever Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) you may bring to us, to work therewith your sorcery on us, we shall never believe in you."
135. But when We removed the punishment from them to a fixed term, which they had to reach, behold! They broke their word!
136. So We took retribution from them. We drowned them in the sea, because they belied Our Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) and were heedless about them.
139. [Mûsa (Moses) added:] "Verily, these people will be destroyed for that which they are engaged in (idols-worship). And all that they are doing is in vain."
142. And We appointed for Mûsa (Moses) thirty nights and added (to the period) ten (more), and he completed the term, appointed by his Lord, of forty nights. And Mûsa (Moses) said to his brother Hârûn (Aaron): "Replace me among my people, act in the Right Way (by ordering the people to obey Allâh and to worship Him Alone) and follow not the way of the Mufsidûn (mischief-makers)."
149. And when they regretted and saw that they had gone astray, they (repented and) said: "If our Lord have not mercy upon us and forgive us, we shall certainly be of the losers."
152. Certainly, those who took the calf (for worship), wrath from their Lord and humiliation will come upon them in the life of this world. Thus do We recompense those who invent lies.
155. And Mûsa (Moses) chose out of his people seventy (of the best) men for Our appointed time and place of meeting, and when they were seized with a violent earthquake, he said: "O my Lord, if it had been Your Will, You could have destroyed them and me before; would You destroy us for the deeds of the foolish ones among us? It is only Your Trial by which You lead astray whom You will, and keep guided whom You will. You are our Walî (Protector), so forgive us and have Mercy on us, for You are the Best of those who forgive.
160. And We divided them into twelve tribes (as distinct) nations. We directed Mûsa (Moses) by inspiration, when his people asked him for water, (saying): "Strike the stone with your stick", and there gushed forth out of it twelve springs: each group knew its own place for water. We shaded them with the clouds and sent down upon them Al-Manna and the quails (saying): "Eat of the good things with which We have provided you." They harmed Us not but they used to harm themselves.
165. So when they forgot the remindings that had been given to them, We rescued those who forbade evil, but We seized those who did wrong with a severe torment because they used to rebel (disobey Allâh).
168. And We have broken them (i.e. the Jews) up into various separate groups on the earth, some of them are righteous and some are away from that. And We tried them with good (blessings) and evil (calamities) in order that they might turn (to Allâh's Obedience).
171. And (remember) when We raised the mountain over them as if it had been a canopy, and they thought that it was going to fall on them. (We said): "Hold firmly to what We have given you [i.e. the Taurât (Torah)], and remember that which is therein (act on its commandments), so that you may fear Allâh and obey Him."
174. Thus do We explain the Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) in detail, so that they may turn (unto the truth).
175. And recite (O Muhammad ) to them the story of him to whom We gave Our Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), but he threw them away, so Shaitân (Satan) followed him up, and he became of those who went astray.
178. Whomsoever Allâh guides, he is the guided one, and whomsoever He sends astray, those! They are the losers.
181. And of those whom We have created, there is a community who guides (others) with the truth, and establishes justice therewith.
182. Those who reject Our Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), We shall gradually seize them with punishment in ways they perceive not.
183. And I respite them; certainly My Plan is strong.
186. Whomsoever Allâh sends astray, none can guide him; and He lets them wander blindly in their transgressions.
187. They ask you about the Hour (Day of Resurrection): "When will be its appointed time?" Say: "The knowledge thereof is with my Lord (Alone). None can reveal its time but He. Heavy is its burden through the heavens and the earth. It shall not come upon you except all of a sudden." They ask you as if you have a good knowledge of it. Say: "The knowledge thereof is with Allâh (Alone) but most of mankind know not."
192. No help can they give them, nor can they help themselves.
193. And if you call them to guidance, they follow you not. It is the same for you whether you call them or you keep silent.
194. Verily, those whom you call upon besides Allâh are slaves like you. So call upon them and let them answer you if you are truthful.
197. "And those whom you call upon besides Him (Allâh) cannot help you nor can they help themselves."
198. And if you call them to guidance, they hear not and you will see them looking at you, yet they see not.
199. Show forgiveness, enjoin what is good, and turn away from the foolish (i.e. don't punish them).
200. And if an evil whisper comes to you from Shaitân (Satan) then seek refuge with Allâh. Verily, He is All-Hearer, All-Knower.
201. Verily, those who are Al-Muttaqûn (the pious - see V.2:2), when an evil thought comes to them from Shaitân (Satan), they remember (Allâh), and (indeed) they then see (aright).
202. But (as for) their brothers (the devils) they (i.e. the devils) plunge them deeper into error, and they never stop short.
203. And if you do not bring them a miracle [according to their (i.e. Quraish-pagans') proposal], they say: "Why have you not brought it?" Say: "I but follow what is revealed to me from my Lord. This (the Qur'ân) is nothing but evidences from your Lord, and a guidance and a mercy for a people who believe."
204. So, when the Qur'ân is recited, listen to it, and be silent that you may receive mercy. [i.e. during the compulsory congregational prayers when the Imâm (of a mosque) is leading the prayer (except Sûrat Al-Fâtiha), and also when he is delivering the Friday-prayer Khutbah]. [Tafsir At-Tabari, Vol.9, Pages 162-4]
205. And remember your Lord by your tongue and within yourself, humbly and with fear without loudness in words in the mornings, and in the afternoons and be not of those who are neglectful.
206. Surely, those who are with your Lord (angels) are never too proud to perform acts of worship to Him, but they glorify His Praise and prostrate before Him.